Today is our day to get an early start. We are going to see the flower auction. Need to be there by 7am and it is a 1 hour bus and train ride. Also need to buy a new ticket for transportation (I lost mine somehow). Oh well another vacation expense not planned
Turns out the ticket I purchased at the train station was not a regional ticket good on all types of transportation when I got on the bus needed another type of ticket to make the connection get to the auction.
At the auction There is actually no buying and selling of the flowers. That is done all on line. You get to see the movement of the flowers in preparation for shipping. It is an amazing operation. There are cart’s going every which way.
We are back in central Amsterdam by 10:30 and decide to explore further by foot. Stop for breakfast. Second lesson learned. When you ask for a pancake you will get a crepe. Of course you can add Nutella (hazelnut spread,) powdered sugar or syrup
Off to explore. We took the on and off bus. A bit underwhelmed since most of the city is between the canals and the bus travels outside the ring. We walked to check out the museum square. Since I planned poorly no tickets available, we are able to get into the Rijksmuseum 2 days from now but nothing for Van Gogh until Tuesday. Maybe next time. On the way back to the hotel we walked some great streets with shops or antiques and then the flower market. I am dying to buy some souvenirs but this is just day 3 of the trip. Trying to hold out.
We have had great weather sunny and mid 60’s. Getting by with a sweater or sweatshirt. No rain and none forecast. Time for some Amsterdam lessons. Never walk in the bike lanes and everywhere you look is a bike lane. The bikers are a take no prisoner type of rider. Cars stop for pedestrians if you are crossing the streets, the bikes won’t. Not unusual to see a rider with a child on the bake texting or talking on the phone while going seemingly 30mph. Amsterdam is a very clean city. No paper or trash on the streets and inspite of all the smokers no cigarette butts on the street. No panhandlers some time musicians with a cup for tips and this AM we saw our first homeless persons. Today’s walking was over 16000 steps and tomorrow we go to the Floride Expo
I am wistfully and voyeuristically jealous of what you two are doing right now. Perhaps someday. I hope to get at least one stamp on the 2020-issued passport that replaced the old one ... before I die.
ReplyDeletev