Friday, April 22, 2022

Day 1 visit to Zaanse Schans

 Day 1, we were off to see windmills. Zaanse Schans is a  small town close to Amsterdam and easy train ride with no connections.  Since we got a late start,  Dan decided to sleep in until 8:05AM after going to bed about 10PM.  Trying to catch up after our 31 hour marathon. Then breakfast and time spent trying to figure out the train pass I bought which was good for 3 days before the train to the north.

This little town was an agricultural area is still home to some working windmills but probably just working to help support the tourist.  The windmills follow the riverbank and there are at least 6-8 still in operation.  The rest of the area is devoted to the tourist in that there is a wooden shoe store with every shape, size and color in stock.  A  demonstration video and a real person operating a lathe.  A cheese factory with lots of free samples of what you could buy.  There is also weaving, a lumber mill, and stone grinding to make pigment for paint all provide tours and demonstrate their trade.   Lots of the best tasting hot chocolate if you need a pick up.  The area is extremely windy which was probably why the windmills were  there in the first place.  A nice short day which was made a little longer by my trip and fall and then when we returned to the room I couldn't find my train pass.   Oh well, tripping and falling is my forte, just a skinned knee.  I guess I should be lucky I did it on the first day out so it is out of the way of the things we tend to do on vacation.

I am not sure how I lost my train pass, but at least I figured it out the night before since tomorrow will be a long tiring day and we are starting early.  We have mapped out the trip to see the flower auction for tomorrow.  Turns out it is a one hour train/bus trip one way and we have to be there before 7AM since all the action is over by 11A.  Today was a 13,719 step day after a 12,365 the day before.

No comments:

Post a Comment